Function getting a reference to its own module

Sun Sep 14 05:29:55 EDT 2008

I have a function that needs a reference to the module object it is
defined in. (For the reason why, if you care, see the thread "doctest not
seeing any of my doc tests" from a week ago.) I know of two ways to deal
with this problem, both of which feel unsatisfactory to me. Assume the
name of the module is "Mod", then I can do either of these:

def foo():
    import Mod
    process(Mod)

Disadvantage: If I change the name of the module, I have to remember to
change the name of the module reference in foo() twice.

def foo():
    modname = foo.__module__
    module = __import__(modname)
    process(module)

Disadvantage: if I change the name of the function, I have to remember to
change the reference to itself, but at least both changes are right next
to each other.

Assume that changing the function name or the module name are both
equally likely/unlikely.

Which do other people prefer? Which seems "better" to you? Are there any
other alternatives?

--
Steven