wxpython ms-dos black window popping up in background

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 13:22:45 EDT 2008

On Sep 10, 6:48 am, James A. Donald <jam... at echeque.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:35:13 -0700 (PDT), icarus <rsa... at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Oh ok. Thanks. In windows xp I just renamed the file extension to .pyw
> > That did it.
>
> > one more question...
>
> > how do I create a pythonw standalone executable that works on w32,
> > linux, mac, etc..?
>
> I have noticed that when applications are written in Python with the
> GUI created by PyGTK, it seems that to install the application on each
> slightly different version of unix is a fairly major task - although
> the creators of PyGTK proudly say that the code will run anywhere, it
> definitely will not install anywhere - the code will only run on a
> slightly different system after a massive and major rewrite of the
> install for that target system.
>
> Horrible installs are a chronic problem GUI programs driven by
> interpreted languages  Installing visual basic programs that worked on
> one Windows machine to work on a very slightly different windows
> machine was also a nightmare.
>
> I have not attempted to create installable wxPython windows, but
> generally, "run anywhere" will bite you.  Still looking for a good
> solution to "run anywhere".
>
> --
>   ----------------------
> We have the right to defend ourselves and our property, because
> of the kind of animals that we are. True law derives from this
> right, not from the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.
>
> http://www.jim.com/     James A. Donald

I haven't had much trouble getting wxPython applications to run in
Windows XP and Ubuntu Hardy Heron. Of course, my GUIs aren't extremely
complex, but I did make use of Hammond's PyWin32 package and had to
wrap those in Platform aware conditional statements. Plus wx was
pretty easy to install in Ubuntu, so that was cool.

I can't really comment on other toolkits though.

Mike