Porting VB apps to Python for Window / Linux use

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 07:24:14 EDT 2008

Francesco Bochicchio wrote:
> Il Sun, 19 Oct 2008 10:34:23 +0200, Stef Mientki ha scritto:

>  I'm very
>
>> satisfied with Python, and  must say it's much more beautiful language
>> than Delphi, seen over the full width of programming. Although both
>> languages are Object Oriented, for some (unknown) reason it's 10 times
>> easier to maintain and extend libraries in Python than in Delphi.
>> I WOULD BE MUCH OBLIGED, IF SOMEONE CAN EXPLAIN THAT DIFFERENCE ! And
>> with wxPython and some tools I made, I almost have the same environment
>> as Delphi.
>>

> IMO:
> - dynamic typing
> - powerful built-in types like lists, sets and dictionaries
> - very rich function definition syntax, with multiple returns,
>   yield, values passed by position and by name, automatic
>   grouping of parameters in list/dictionaries
> - rich standard library, which becomes impressive if you accound for all
>   the non standard modules that you find in internet. And, unlike another
>   language wich shall remain unnamed (starts with J), most of python
>   library modules have the same pratical approach of C standard
>   library.
>
> Never used seriously delphi, but played a little with it: IIRC, under the
> nice IDE and GUI toolkit, the language itself is a kind of object-pascal.
> This would place it more or less at the same level of abstraction of
> Java,  way below  languages like python and ruby,

Thanks Francesco,
for these features and indeed the Object Pascal language is indeed
inferior to Python.
Some of Python features that I find an enormous improvement over Delphi:
- extending functions and classes with keyword arguments, without
affecting the previous use of these declarations
- array slicing
- having 1 procedure that can handle every type, opposed to the Delphi
overload method

Some minor points of Python, compared to Delphi
- rich standard library is less than in Delphi. It might be just as
large, but using it is a crime (Delphi libs always work because they are
upwards compatible)
- GUI design
- deploying an application

cheers,