Porting VB apps to Python for Window / Linux use

Francesco Bochicchio bockman at virgilio.it
Sun Oct 19 06:13:44 EDT 2008

Il Sun, 19 Oct 2008 10:34:23 +0200, Stef Mientki ha scritto:

 I'm very
> satisfied with Python, and  must say it's much more beautiful language
> than Delphi, seen over the full width of programming. Although both
> languages are Object Oriented, for some (unknown) reason it's 10 times
> easier to maintain and extend libraries in Python than in Delphi.
> I WOULD BE MUCH OBLIGED, IF SOMEONE CAN EXPLAIN THAT DIFFERENCE ! And
> with wxPython and some tools I made, I almost have the same environment
> as Delphi.

IMO:
- dynamic typing
- powerful built-in types like lists, sets and dictionaries
- very rich function definition syntax, with multiple returns,
  yield, values passed by position and by name, automatic
  grouping of parameters in list/dictionaries
- rich standard library, which becomes impressive if you accound for all
  the non standard modules that you find in internet. And, unlike another
  language wich shall remain unnamed (starts with J), most of python
  library modules have the same pratical approach of C standard
  library.

Never used seriously delphi, but played a little with it: IIRC, under the
nice IDE and GUI toolkit, the language itself is a kind of object-pascal.
This would place it more or less at the same level of abstraction of
Java,  way below  languages like python and ruby,

Ciao
-----
FB