If an OS was to be written in Python, how'w it look?

Dan Upton upton at virginia.edu
Mon Oct 6 11:10:30 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Eric Wertman <ewertman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If an OS was to be written in Python and the hardware optimized for
>>> it, what changes would be made to the hardware to accomodate Python
>>> strenghs and weaknesses?
>

> I'm no expert, but this would seem like a good example of something
> that python wasn't good for.  I have always wondered, though, what a
> Linux kernel module would look like that had a python (or java, or
> whatever) interpreter running low-level, so the higher level
> components on the operating system could be implemented in an
> interpreted language.  Is there any benefit to something like that?
> Or is that crap too?  Again, I'm no expert.

The closest I can think of to that is Singularity, Microsoft's
research OS written in .NET (well, C# specifically I guess).  I think
their intent was more to shrink the size of the trusted computing base
though and then make all of the actual OS services and such managed
code.

http://research.microsoft.com/os/Singularity/