windows help files ?

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 08:07:21 EDT 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> 1. how can I launch the windows help file (CHM), from python  with a
>> keyword as argument ?
>>

> Run hh.exe. If you want it to navigate to specific page, also pass that
> page on the command line (finding out the exact syntax is left as an
> exercise)

That's one way,
in the meanwhile I found win32help.py,
which I finally got to work.
The whole hh.exe (seems also to be a wellknown virus) and win32help
documentation is very hard to find.
>> 2. now when my program should also run under Linux/Mac,  how should I
>> call the help file  under Linux/Mac.
>>

> Provide an HTML tree of the documentation, and use the webbrowser module
> to start a browser on it.

Yes, but for context sensitive help that's a little bit primitive.
I'm now working on the idea of offering 3 levels of context sensitive
help (through F1, shift-F1, ctrl-F1):
- standard doc ( chm-keyword  / html-tag )
- search on google
- help from a user defined location ( chm / html / search engine / txt /
pdf )

thanks again,
cheers,
Stef