pymssql - execute loads all results into memory!

Aspersieman aspersieman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 08:48:41 EDT 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:06:37 +0200, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk>
wrote:

> Aspersieman wrote:
>> However, pyODBC doesn't support return variables(parameters) in stored
>> procedures (at least with MS SQL). pymssql is the only db api for
>> python that I've found that can reliably do this. I've tried adodbapi,
>> pyodbc and one or two others (can't think of the names now... :-/).
>
> That's a fair point (I'm assuming you're right; I've never tried). That
> tends to be a shortcoming of SQL interfaces. However, pymssql is based
> on the defunct ntwdblib.dll interface which is becoming harder and harder
> to find as of SQL2005. Have you tried putting a feature request in to
> the pyodbc team? I've not had anything to do with them for a bit, but
> they did implement the .nextset method at my request a couple of years
> ago. (That's assuming it's even possible with ODBC in general, which
> I also haven't checked).
>
> TJG
> --

Oh, trust me - I've tried a *LOT*. I aggree, submitting a feature request
is a good idea. I think I'll do that. :)

I did read somewhere (I think on the pyodbc site) that pyodbc isn't DB API
2.0 feature complete yet - so I'll have to probably check if they haven't
already planned this.

Obtaining output parameters from stored procedures is something I have to
do quite often, unfortunately - so maybe I can submit a patch even... :)

Alternatively - I have found the adodbapi quite useful (although it also
doesn't support output parameters), so I might ask them too.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards

Nicol

--
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo