[Novice]Installing eric4 with python 2.6

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Oct 29 06:51:10 EDT 2008

Saurabh Agrawal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am fairly new to python. Coming from a world of IDEs, I wanted a
> fancier one than IDLE. Hence, I downloaded eric4. When I tried to
> compile it, it asked for PyQt4, which I again downloaded (exe for
> Windows XP) and installed it. It seems to be properly installed as I can
> invoke "import PyQt4" from IDLE without any complaints.
>
> However, when I try to install eric4, I am getting the following error:
>
> D:\Python26\eric4-4.2.2a>python install.py
> Sorry, please install PyQt4.
> Error: Module use of python25.dll conflicts with this version of Python.
>
> So, won't eric4 work with python 2.6? I have searched on the net for
> this, but am unable to find any solution.
>
> I am new to python, so please excuse if this has an obvious solution.
> Thanks.
>
> OS: Windows XP SP2.

Unfortunately when a new release comes out package authors don't always
rush to meet the demand for their software by providing a release for
the new version.

If the download site doesn't specifically offer a 2.6-compatible version
that's likely the problem here, sorry :(

In the meantime take a look at WingIDE - there's a free or low-cost
version that might meet your needs, and I'd be very surprised if they
weren't 2.6-compatible on the day of 2.6's release.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119