Suggestion for the PythonDevelopment for next version

azrael jura.grozni at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 11:56:34 EDT 2008

You know, sometimes it annoys me to write a for loop in Python. If we
use a list a=[1,2,3,4], and want to loop through it, Python offers the
next option
>>>for i in a:
>>>  print i

1
2
3
4

I love this. So simple and smooth. But what happens if we need also
the position of an object in a list. Then there comes this annoying
writing.

>>> for i in range(len(a)):
>>>  print a[i], i

1 0
2 1
3 2
4 3

I think that it would be great if the Python language, which is a
totaly OOP language, could also use the index variable from the first
example and consider it as an object with a Object variable. I mean
the following.

>>>for i in a:
>>>  print i, i.index                # i.index is my sugesstion

1 0
2 1
3 2
4 3

I think that this would be great and we cou pass by this annoying
"range(len(a))" functions