hello from colombia

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Nov 26 17:26:52 EST 2008

fel:
> they are starting a new project (insurance stuff) using Java, and I
> just hate that eventually I'l be debugging someone-else's java code
> how can I convince them that Python is better, and get them to re-
> think their strategy?

The choice of the language for a program isn't easy. Maintaining
"large" codebases of Java code written by many programmers with mixed
levels of experience may be less difficult than an Python code,
because Python gives you more freedom, and such freedom may be used
for the bad too. Also note that Java gives you powerful IDE tools, may
give you support from some corporations, and for the firm it may be
simpler to find and replace Java programmers, compared to Python ones
(this is probably true where I live, but I don't know if it's true
where you live). Java may also have some software already done that
you can use in your insurance field, I don't know.
Today Java may be the most widely used language, so this diffusion
gives you some advantages.
So even if Python is better, a firm has to consider many other things.

Bye,
bearophile