2.6, 3.0, and truly independent intepreters

Andy O'Meara andy55 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 13:23:30 EST 2008

On Nov 5, 5:09 pm, Paul Boddie <p... at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> Anyway, to keep things constructive, I should ask (again) whether you
> looked at tinypy [1] and whether that might possibly satisfy your
> embedded requirements.

Actually, I'm starting to get into the tinypy codebase and have been
talking in detail with the leads for that project (I just branched it,
in fact).  TP indeed has all the right ingredients for a CPython "ES"
API, so I'm currently working on a first draft. Interestingly, the TP
VM is largely based on Lua's implementation and stresses compactness.
One challenge is that it's design may be overly compact, making it a
little tricky to extend and maintain (but I anticipate things will
improve as we rev it).

When I have a draft of this "CPythonES" API, I plan to post here for
everyone to look at and give feedback on.  The only thing that sucks
is that I have a lot of other commitments right now, so I can't spend
the time on this that I'd like to.  Once we have that API finalized,
I'll be able to start offering some bounties for filling in some of
its implementation.  In any case, I look forward to updating folks
here on our progress!

Andy