Python and Its Libraries--Who's on First?

Chris Rebert clp at rebertia.com
Mon Nov 17 03:28:25 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 9:25 PM, W. eWatson <notvalid2 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Is there some repository that says something like for Python 2.5 it works
> with:
>
> Win OSes: W2K, XP, Vista

For the supported OSes, check the links for the versions on
http://python.org/download/ and see whether downloads are offered for
that OS (version).

> numpy vers y, matplotlib vers x. scipy z, etc.

For arbitrary third-party packages, check their websites to see which
versions are compatible with which versions of Python.

No one makes some centralized compatibility matrix for the cartesian
product of python, OS, and third-party library versions.
Probably because, as you can imagine, it would be enormously tedious.
Also, I doubt it would even be all that useful to most developers as
they simply go with whatever version of Python their package's
specific third-party libraries require, with OS compatibility being a
non-issue.

Cheers,
Chris
--