How to build the pysqlite? Where to find the "sqlite3.h"?

Shawn Milochik Shawn at milochik.com
Wed Nov 5 14:32:15 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Thorsten Kampe
<thorsten at thorstenkampe.de> wrote:
> * Shawn Milochik (Wed, 5 Nov 2008 12:28:46 -0500)

>> > The linux binary will not work. You need the headers and the
>> > libraries. Grab the src tar ball and build and install locally.
>>
>> That is not correct. The binary *does* work, as I said last time.
>>
>> For the third time, it is not possible for me to build from source on
>> that box.
>
> Sure you can. There are never permission problems for compiling - only
> for installing.
>
>> And in any case, you keep talking about sqlite3, but I'm talking about
>> pysqlite2.
>
> You (and Kurda) keep on talking the wrong stuff. First: you don't need
> pysqlite2. SQLite support is included in the latest Python as module
> sqlite3.
>
> If for whatever reason you need the latest SQLite module for Python
> (2.5.0), you can simply grab an rpm or build it from source and install
> it to your home directory. To build pysqlite you need the SQLite
> headers. If you can't install those to default path then simply grab the
> headers, put them somewhere into your home directory and tell the
> pysqlite build process where to find them.
>
> Thorsten

Okay, sorry if I haven't been specific enough. I don't know about the
original poster, but on the box I'm using, I don't have the latest
Python, the "make" command breaks because the system doesn't have the
proper libraries, and there is no sqlite3 module. I am not authorized
to fix any of that, and our support team isn't interested in helping
me because it's a Perl shop, not Python.

I'm not demanding that anyone solve my problem. I'm just asking if
there are files I can download and without compiling or building them
in any way, put them somewhere, point Python to that path, and be able
to use sqlite from Python. If the answer is no, it's no. I'm not
repeating myself because I enjoy it. For some reason everyone who has
answered me has ignored the basic question of whether this is possible
or not, so I have felt the need to reply and say so.

Thanks,
Shawn