404 not found on for Python 2.6 Itanium

Christopher Nelson nadiasvertex at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 11:38:26 EST 2008

I'm not sure what to say about that.  The company I work for is
committed to Python (our product is mostly Python source), and my
current job is to make our software work on Itanium, which means
providing an Itanium build of Python.  As long as I have this job I
suspect that I will be maintaining it.  However, "maintaining" it for
us means that I deliver a set of binaries and build system
integration.  My buildsystem changes are a significant departure from
the way Python currently builds.

Since Python 2.6 actually supports a decent windows compiler, it may
be easier for me to provide the various platform binaries (assuming we
go to Python 2.6 in the next year or so) within the stock python build
framework. (Which mostly means patches that the community might
actually find useful.  My current build framework targets Python 2.4
on VS2K5, which is probably of little use to anyone.)

In any case, my concern with dropping a stock python itanium distro
involves the vastly diminished probability that others will provide
Itanium versions of, for example py2exe and pywin32.

 I would certainly be willing to help with testing and building and
bug fixing to the extent that my secular job allows it.