404 not found on for Python 2.6 Itanium

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Nov 21 17:14:28 EST 2008

> In any case, my concern with dropping a stock python itanium distro
> involves the vastly diminished probability that others will provide
> Itanium versions of, for example py2exe and pywin32.

Well, I had been providing Itanium binaries for 2.4 and 2.5, and neither
py2exe nor pywin32 ever emerged.

It *is* fairly unlikely that the community will provide Itanium support
for anything, as nobody really has the hardware to run it on. So if you
are using Itanium, you will have to do all the porting yourself.

>  I would certainly be willing to help with testing and building and
> bug fixing to the extent that my secular job allows it.

If you start providing binaries, we would be happy to link to them
from the release pages (provided they arrive within some reasonable
time after the release, otherwise, the link would go off the download
page, or the windows page).

I have personally given up with Windows on Itanium - it just isn't
worth my time. We do have new Itanium hardware, but we run VMS and
HP-UX on it. Why would anybody run Windows on Itanium? You can't
get any games for it :-)

For some time, there was interest in Python for AlphaNT, and that
interest has died away also. It seems that even Microsoft has lost
interest in Itanium as a Windows platform - they never released
Office for it, for example, and Windows 2008 on Itanium is also
crippled.

Regards,
Martin