Python surpasses Perl in popularity?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Nov 28 06:40:43 EST 2008

On 27 Nov, 01:59, Steven D'Aprano
<ste... at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> Oh please Steve. Did you read Xah's post or stop after the second
> paragraph? It was amazingly *non* vituperative, and I don't just mean
> "for Xah".

Agreed, although I had to look "vituperative" up first. Is the mere
presence of Xah Lee's name now shocking in itself?

> I only counted two uses of the f-word and one of the a-word, none of
> which I personally would object to (we're grown-ups, naughty words
> shouldn't shock us). The only things which were even *close* to a
> vituperative rant were a short comment about Brian Harvey being unhappy
> with Scheme 6, and that Sun Microsystems use inferior versions of shell
> tools. Maybe half a dozen lines expressing strong opinions, out of a 300
> line post.

And I'd definitely want to express frustration with the latter
situation if I had to use a Sun operating system without the GNU suite
of programs installed. I haven't checked, but perhaps even the latest
release of OpenSolaris still has the /usr/ucb, /usr/ccs and /usr/xpg5
directories (or whatever they're called), although these probably no
longer provide the default tools.

Paul