Extract frame from wmv

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Wed Nov 5 06:19:25 EST 2008

Martin wrote:
> I need to extract a frame from a wmv file and save it as a jpg. In fact
> I need to extract a frame from each one of a collection of several
> thousand wmv files, but that's beside the point.
>
> I've actually written a script that does exactly this using the pyglet
> module. But while it works fine on my local machine running Python 2.5,
> my host is only on 2.4.3. They've installed pyglet for me, but it won't
> run without ctype, and they don't suport it.
>
> Can anyone suggest an alternative way to achieve this using a module
> that will run on a standard 2.4.3 installation?

Pretty sure pymedia can do this kind of thing, possibly
with a bit of work.

http://pymedia.org/tut/src/dump_video.py.html

I used it recentlyish to do the reverse: combine a series
of still shots into a time-lapse movie.

Alternatively, you might be able to commandline control
mencoder or ffmpeg itself to do this. Not sure, but there
must be *something* among those millions of command-line
options!

TJG