Restricted Execution of untrusted code

Emanuele D'Arrigo manu3d at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 20:16:55 EST 2008

Thanks to those who replied and sorry for not having replied sooner.

Ok, got the message: chroot jail. I understand chroot is available for
unix-like OS as a kernel-provided facility. If I was developing for,
say, Linux or maybe even MacOSX, it might even be easy. My target OS
however are XP and Vista. I did find chroot-like features in various
virtualization platforms for those OS, but it would definitely be
overkill to request the user that he installs a virtualization
software to run a small application. I was reading this page

http://wiki.python.org/moin/How%20can%20I%20run%20an%20untrusted%20Python%20script%20safely%20(i.e.%20Sandbox)

and it seems to me my only two options are pypy-c and Jython. Would
you agree or are there more avenues to explore given my OS
requirements?

Manu