3.0rc3: 'os.extsep' gone ... ?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Nov 24 06:41:54 EST 2008

On 24 Nov, 08:43, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> That doesn't really explain it. It always was os.path.extsep,
> but it *also* was os.extsep.

I've always known it as the former; a perusal of the Python repository
would probably indicate when it became exposed in the os module
itself. Support for extension separators (extsep and splitext) has
always been somewhat lacklustre in the os(.path) module, perhaps due
to "complicated" filename syntax from operating systems like VMS, but
it'd be good to improve this support in future, I think.

Paul