3.0rc3: 'os.extsep' gone ... ?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Nov 24 17:34:14 EST 2008

>> That doesn't really explain it. It always was os.path.extsep,
>> but it *also* was os.extsep.
>
> I've always known it as the former

Same here, but see below.

> a perusal of the Python repository
> would probably indicate when it became exposed in the os module
> itself.

That's indeed easier to answer than finding out when it was removed
for 3k, and by whom. It was provided in its current form with

r31426 | montanaro | 2003-02-14 20:35:31 +0100 (Fr, 14. Feb 2003) | 3 lines
Migrate definitions of several platform-dependent path-related variables
into the relevant path modules.  See patch #686397.

So they were migrated *into* the specific modules in 2003.

Before, they were all conditionally defined based on the platform, in
os.py itself.

So I must be misremembering - in 2.2 and earlier, they were only
in the os module. So it was *not* always os.path.extsep.

Perhaps this gives the rationale for the change - migration into the
platform modules is now complete.

Regards,
Martin