special editor support for indentation needed.

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Nov 17 09:26:17 EST 2008

Jeremiah Dodds wrote:

> Eric, I don't have a good readily available solution to what you're
> trying to do, but it seems to me that it would be worth your time to get
> comfortable with elisp, and how it's used in emacs. The emacs
> documentation is pretty good, even if you don't know lisp, and I think
> it would be one of the easiest languages to integrate well with voice
> recognition. I don't think you would need to touch what is commonly
> referred to as emacs internals to do what you want. There's a good
> chance that you'd be able to greatly improve emacs voice-recognition
> support pretty easily in a month or twos time.

for reasons too long to go into, trying to modify Emacs extensively is not a
long-term win.  My requests here were trying to make Emacs somewhat better as a
speech recognition driven editor to get to my final goal, namely building a
bridge between Windows and Linux for speech recognition.  The time or take
modify Emacs to do what I want would be better spent burning my hands and going
directly for the end goal because I believe it would take me less time to get to
where I want.  what I have to learn by myself is how to make a Windows edit
control work from Python, verify speech recognition works with that
configuration, then create a mirror window on linux so what ever is placed into
one window via speech recognition, cut and paste, or even typing shows up in the
other window.  Then, I need to layer a grammar on top of that to enable the
linux side to do application specific cut and paste.  this tool would allow us
to use anything for an editor and not just the one we have just tweaked.

simple  heh.  I may just be better off trying to make enough money so I can pay
somebody to do that.

As I was writing this, it just occurred to me one way to implement the
indentation control.   it would be something like "moved to beginning of line,
leave mark, move to end of line, kill region, insert < action specific number of
spaces>.

I still think it would be a better solution to determine the indentation of the
previous item that should art hold the right indentation and reuse that amount
but, I will settle for with brute force, bloody ignorance

Yes, that probably will work