Embedded Program Icon (wxPython)

Bart bartweber at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 15:30:27 EST 2008

Dear members,
It's not (yet) easy to find my way through the bunch of info scattered
over the internet to find out how to embed an icon. It could be that
I’m looking at the wrong places, I'm new to Python and wxPython.
Nevertheless, I would like to share this little script with the rest
of the world. Any suggestions are welcome!

Regards,
Bart

import wx
import cStringIO
import base64

def getImageStream():
    img_b64 = \

"""iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAACAAAAAgCAYAAABzenr0AAAABHNCSVQICAgIfAhkiAAAATlJREFUWIXNl2FyhCAMhV
+0B/NmCzfrHkxff+zSik0gCI77ZhwdCckHQoIi04w7Nd0a/
WMBuK0cHcjyKdYa4LZSplmanBXsrTYTQOvonZljHys4AHx5HWVgTBx5syjWpeBVgN+A75H/
BTbsmEBe9rXgQNcuqPp2qQqgj74cPJl61sxn5oGyxkx9B8BYZQDcVqbL7kLEGP691d55fGfb0LNtzsr0LdNcvQAQAPcKIZAESWTP5MsWAD2+b18DxVqwl5YPYowAgMcj7By
+787P2T0D+
+Bn5AZIIxKt4iSbxtE3AVylywFq9cBdjADf1B5tZJqlBFEEsE4zaR0sy4Ln8xsxBvUw4oEwAWpHqVZZEOap
+Iq0rPlUAa6sCS6AkrR8EELI2pr8nfk3bP0vGA5wBOn5ZF0AI3R7Kv4BLsO1PPzEcJMAAAAASUVORK5CYII="""
    img = base64.b64decode(img_b64)
    return img

class MyFrame(wx.Frame):
    def __init__(self, parent, id, caption):
        wx.Frame.__init__(self, parent, id, caption)

        myStream = cStringIO.StringIO(getImageStream())
        myImage = wx.ImageFromStream(myStream)
        myBitmap = wx.BitmapFromImage(myImage)

        myIcon = wx.EmptyIcon()
        myIcon.CopyFromBitmap(myBitmap)
        self.SetIcon(myIcon)

app = wx.PySimpleApp()
frame = MyFrame(None, -1, "Embedded Programm Icon Sample")
frame.Show(True)
app.MainLoop()