Snippets management

Edwin expora at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 06:23:25 EST 2008

Robert Lehmann <stargaming at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 19:55:51 -0600, Edwin wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've been looking for a snippet manager and found PySnippet but it
>> requires PyGTK. Do you know any other option that doesn't need much?
> [snip]
>
> If you're looking for a snippet manager for actually *using* it (not
> educational purposes or something), I'd recommend your favorite editor
> and the version control system of your choice. I found DVCSes to be
> rather nice for local ad-hoc repositories (particulary Git_). If you'd
> like to modify your snippet system you could take a look at Mercurial or
> Bazaar, both being written in Python.
>
> HTH,
>
> .. _Git: http://git.or.cz/

That sounds interesting. As I'm learning Python sometimes I look for
different approaches to the same problem so I use Git branches in order
to save every try. It's just that I'm looking for a 'global' place in my
system where I can save code ideas and useful snippets not particular to
any project. Quick access could be useful for some copy/paste
operations... I don't know.

How would you set this up? A git folder 'snippets' maybe?

Thanks for your ideas.