python.org coming back as unreachable in Dillo (IPv6 routing error?)

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Fri Nov 28 20:39:31 EST 2008

Though only semi-Python related, it impacts me because I (until
recently) use Dillo at home for browsing docs.python.org.

I'm trying to figure out if something network-related changed.
Within the last week or two (time-frame is fuzzy), it seems that
something changed and I now get "Network unreachable" errors.
AFAIK, I haven't changed any settings on my local Debian box.
The best of my google-fu has returned that this may have
something to do with ipv6 routing.  Firefox, Epiphany and Lynx
all work fine (as does Safari on my Mac on the same internal home
network).  Likewise, browsing with Dillo to IPv4 address-space
seems to work fine.

Have any network changes taken place at python.org (particularly
IPv6 or DNS related) recently?

Some of the configuration details from my machine:

tim at rubbish:~$ ip -f inet6 route
fe80::/64 dev eth0  metric 256  expires 21252543sec mtu 1500
advmss 1440 hoplimit 4294967295

tim at rubbish:~$ /sbin/ifconfig -a eth0 | grep inet6
           inet6 addr: fe80::2e0:b8ff:fe37:e150/64 Scope:Link

tim at rubbish:~$ traceroute -6 docs.python.org
traceroute to docs.python.org (2001:888:2000:d::a2), 30 hops max,
40 byte packets
connect: Network is unreachable

A "traceroute -4 docs.python.org" works fine.

If output of other commands would be helpful, just ask as I don't
know enough about IPv6 to troubleshoot the best solution to this.

It may be possible to just disable IPv6, but it would be nice to
allow IPv6 to remain enabled *and* configured correctly :)

Thanks for any pointers you might be able to offer.

-tkc