2.6, 3.0, and truly independent intepreters

Andy O'Meara andy55 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 14:44:27 EST 2008

On Nov 4, 10:59 am, sturlamolden <sturlamol... at yahoo.no> wrote:
> On Nov 4, 4:27 pm, "Andy O'Meara" <and... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > People
> > in the scientific and academic communities have to understand that the
> > dynamics in commercial software are can be *very* different needs and
> > have to show some open-mindedness there.
>
> You are beware that BDFL's employer is a company called Google? Python
> is not just used in academic settings.

Turns out I have heard of Google (and how about you be a little more
courteous). If you've read the posts in this thread, you'll note that
the needs outlined in this thread are quite different than the needs
and interests of Google.  Note that my point was that python *could*
and *should* be used more in end-user/desktop applications, but it
can't "wag the dog" to use my earlier statement.

> Furthermore, I gave you a link to cilk++. This is a simple tool that
> allows you to parallelize existing C or C++ software using three small
> keywords.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but we need the features associated with an
embedded interpreter.  I checked out clik++ when you linked it and
although it seems pretty cool, it's not a good fit for us for a number
of reasons.  Also, we like the idea of helping support a FOSS project
rather than license a proprietary product (again, to be clear, using
cilk isn't even appropriate for our situation).

> > As other posts have gone into extensive detail, multiprocessing
> > unfortunately don't handle the massive/complex data structures
> > situation (see my posts regarding real-time video processing).
>
> That is something I don't believe. Why can't multiprocessing handle
> that?

In a few earlier posts, I went into details what's meant there:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/9d995e4a1153a1b2/09aaca3d94ee7a04?lnk=st#09aaca3d94ee7a04
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/edae2840ab432344
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/5be213c31519217b

> For Christ sake, researchers
> write global climate models using MPI. And you think a toy problem
> like 'real-time video processing' is a show stopper for using multiple
> processes.

I'm not sure why you're posting this sort of stuff when it seems like
you haven't checked out earlier posts in the this thread.  Also, you
do yourself and the people here a disservice in the way that you're
speaking to me here.  You never know who you're really talking to or
who's reading.

Andy