Python / Debian package dependencies

Steven Samuel Cole steven.samuel.cole at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 20:14:33 EST 2008

Hi all,

I am trying to build a debian package for my python modules using
stdeb and dpkg-buildpackage. The package building itself works, I also
managed to have an entry point created and I can use my python modules
on the Ubuntu virtual machine I use to test the package.

The problem is that my modules require the psycopg2 python package and
the entry point seems to require setuptools.
I can't figure out how to declare a dependency that actually results
in the dependency Debian packages being installed.
I tried adding these lines to setup.py:

requires = ['psycopg2', 'setuptools'],
requires = ['psycopg2 (>=0.1)', 'setuptools (>=0.1)'],
install_requires = ['psycopg2', 'setuptools'],
install_requires = ['psycopg2>=0.1', 'setuptools>=0.1'],

and then run stdeb_run_setup and dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us
in the deb_dist/<package name> folder created, but when I copy the
.deb file over to the virtual machine and do dpkg -i <.deb file>, none
of them would actually install psycopg2 and setuptools.

What am I doing wrong ? Am I actually somewhat on the right track or
am I doing complete nonsense ?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Steve