Dynamic features used

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Nov 21 07:55:11 EST 2008

Almar Klein:
> but I fail to see the point you're trying
> to make or the question you're asking... :)

It's not easy to define what my point was :-) I try again, but the
following questions don't cover all the points:
- What are the dynamic features of Python that you use in your code?
(excluding ones that can can be done with a good static template
system).
- Are them worth the decrease in running speed?
- Is it good for Python to become two languages in one, a fast
statically typed one and a dynamically one, like pypy shows to like
with RPython, or is it better to go the way of the Boo language, that
(while being mostly static) is mixing dynamic and static typing in the
same code, but that must rely on a very complex virtual machine to
work?
- Or maybe is it better to find other ways like CLips ones, that allow
to mix dynamic and static features, generally keeping programs fast
enough (Lisp-like syntax can lead to high performance too, as shown by
the Stalin Scheme compiler http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalin_(Scheme_implementation)
).

Bye,
bearophile