smtplib "authentication required" error

7stud bbxx789_05ss at yahoo.com
Sat May 17 21:58:25 EDT 2008

On May 17, 12:18 pm, cher <cheryl.gi... at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Don't know if you can help, but I'm trying to import archived messages
> from Thunderbird into my gmail account and keep getting these types of
> errors.  I am using the GML program to help incorporate, but the SMTP
> server is not being recognized by gmail.  Am I doing something wrong?
> Anything else I can try?
> SMTP I've tried:
>     smtp.gmail.com
>     gsmtp56.google.com
>
> Error Val : (530, '5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first.
> m29sm9416768poh.4',
> *** 76 ERROR SENDING MESSAGE FROM: r... at bassisloadeddj.com
> *** UNABLE TO CONNECT TO SERVER OR SEND MESSAGE. ERROR FOLLOWS.
> Error Type: smtplib.SMTPSenderRefused
> Error Val : (530, '5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first.
> n22sm9448670pof.3', 'r... at bassisloadeddj.com')
>
> Thanks,
> Cher

Can you get the following program to work?

#Uses gmail to send an email to someone

import smtplib

sender = "Tom"
to = "Sally"
subject = "Test smtplib"

headers = "From: %s\r\nTo: %s\r\nSubject: %s\r\n\r\n" % (sender, to,
subject)
msg = headers + "Hello.  How are you?"

mailserver = smtplib.SMTP("smtp.gmail.com", 587)
mailserver.ehlo()
mailserver.starttls()
mailserver.ehlo()
mailserver.login("your_gmail_email_address", "your_gmail_password")
mailserver.sendmail("your_gmail_email_addres",
"a_destination_email_address", msg)
mailserver.close()