Cannot install Pypvm (Python Parallel Virtual Machine)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri May 9 11:49:57 EDT 2008

On 9 Mai, 17:22, spectru... at gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I've found and installed the package containing pvm3.h. (The file is
> now located under "share/pvm3/include/pvm3.h".) But Pypvm can't find
> it.

There is a pvm-dev package in Ubuntu, but it looks like Fedora employs
a different package layout, since pvm-dev seems to have /usr/include/
pvm3.h instead. See here for more details of the Ubuntu package:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/i386/pvm-dev/filelist

Had the headers been put in /usr/include, you might have been more
fortunate with the rest of the process.

> Someone recommended that I install the equivalent of what is called
> "build-essential" in Ubuntu. I was told that the equivalent can be
> achieved in Fedora like this:
>
> sudo yum groupinstall "Development Tools" --exclude=systemtap --
> exclude=systemtap-runtime

I can only guess what this is doing, but I imagine that it is indeed
somewhat like the Ubuntu build-essential meta-package (which installs
some compilers and headers).

> I don't quite understand what these packages are supposed to do, but
> they don't seem to help.

I would doubt that the default set of compilers and headers would
include PVM stuff - that's somewhat beyond what most developers would
want.

> Can anyone tell me how to make (the installation program for) Pypvm
> understand where the header file is?

Pypvm looks like it offers the old-style Makefile generation procedure
or the new-style distutils procedure. With the old-style approach, you
could edit the Makefile and add some parameters in various places - I
guess you'd put "-Ishare/pvm3/include" on the end of the CFLAGS
variable definition, and "-Lshare/pvm3/lib" on the end of the LDFLAGS
definition. With the new-style approach, you have to persuade
distutils to pick up similar information - some packages employ
setup.cfg files for this purpose, whereas others make you specify
extra options when running setup.py.

Paul