The Importance of Terminology's Quality

Arne Vajhøj arne at vajhoej.dk
Sat May 31 20:43:22 EDT 2008

szr wrote:
> Peter Duniho wrote:

>>> Looking at the original post, it doesn't appear to be about any
>>> specific language.
>> Indeed.  That suggests it's probably off-topic in most, if not all,
>> of the newsgroups to which it was posted, inasmuch as they exist for
>> topics specific to a given programming language.
>
> Perhaps - comp.programming might of been a better place, but not all
> people who follow groups for specific languages follow a general group
> like that - but let me ask you something. What is it you really have
> against discussing topics with people of neighboring groups? Keep in
> mind you don't have to read anything you do not want to read. [1]

I very much doubt that the original thread is relevant for the Java
group.

But the subthread Lew commente don was about Perl and Unix. That is
clearly off topic.

Personally I am rather tolerant for topics. But I can not blame Lew
for requesting that a Perl-Unix discussion does not get cross posted
to a Java group.

>> Regardless, unless you are actually reading this thread from the
>> c.l.j.p newsgroup, I'm not sure I see the point in questioning
>> someone who _is_ about whether the thread belongs there or not.
>
> I would rather have the OP comment about that, as he started the thread.
> But what gets me is why you are against that specific group being
> included but not others? What is so special about the Java group and why
> are you so sure people there don't want to read this thread? [1] What
> right do you or I or anyone have to make decisions for everyone in a
> news group? Isn't this why most news readers allow one to block a
> thread?

I doubt Lew read any of the other groups, so it seems quite
natural that he did not comment on the on/off topic characteristics
in those.

>> And if it's a vote you want, mark me down as the third person reading
>> c.l.j.p that doesn't feel this thread belongs.  I don't know whether
>> Lew speaks for the entire newsgroup, but based on comments so far,
>> it's pretty clear that there unanimous agreement among those who have
>> expressed an opinion.
>
> Ok, so, perhaps 3 people out of what might be several hundred, if not
> thousand (there is no way to really know, but there are certainly a lot
> of people who read that group, and as with any group, there are far more
> readers than there are people posting, so, again, just because you or
> two other people or so don't want to read a topic or dislike it, you
> feel you can decide for EVERYONE they mustn't read it? Again, this is
> why readers allow you to ignore threads. Please don't force your views
> on others; let them decide for themselves. [1]

And I am sure that Lew did not intended to pretend to speak for
the entire group. He spoke for himself.

I believe there has been several posts that agreed with him and none
that disagreed, so it seems very plausible that the group indeed agree
with him.

Arguing that a huge silent majority has a different opinion
than those speaking up is a very questionable argument. Everybody
could try and count them for their view. The only reasonable
thing is not to count them.

Arne