Python documentation

Sat May 3 22:36:45 EDT 2008

admin at remembernobody.com wrote:
> I have been learning python for some time using the dive into python
> book. I am interested to know if anyone can recommend a book which
> covers more advanced topics like threading and potentially GUI style
> coding....
If you don't at least browse "The Python Cookbook," you are missing
a chance at something you'll find great.  Note, I am strongly of the
opinion that what makes a book great is anachronistic, so check it out
before you buy.

I love information-dense books like Knuth, Strunk & White, and the
original C manual.  I know people who hate these.  I think of them as
technical poetry, rather than prose.  My guess is that Alex Martelli
(editor for the most recent cookbook) is not discoursive enough for
some; I appreciate that fact and understand others are in the "we read
Knuth so you don't have to" camp.  personally, I've loved most hours
I've spent on Knuth -- I'd hate to deprve anyone of that experience.

-Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org