dropping win98 support?

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Thu May 1 17:57:08 EDT 2008

illume schrieb:
> Ah, why is that?
>
> There's still at least 1.1% of people using win98, if you believe this
> source of stats:
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
>
> I just noticed that win9x winme and win nt are all being dropped from
> python.
>
> I know they are old and crufty, but there's still heaps of people
> using them.

The Python core developer team has limited resources. We don't want to
waste our energy with supporting ancient operation systems. Microsoft
has dropped the support for the 9x and NT series several years ago.
Dropping the support as well makes future development and new features
much easier for us.

Python can finally depend on the wide api functions and sane unicode
support.

> Someone pointed me to the pep, where the un-support seems planned:
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/
>

> Seems like a lot of people using it, so it's still worthwhile making
> 2.6 work with win98.

People can still use Python 2.5. Users of deprecated and unsupported
OSes can't except new versions of software to run on their boxes.

Christian