dropping win98 support? was Re: Python 2.6 and wrapping C libraries on Windows

illume renesd at gmail.com
Thu May 1 17:37:18 EDT 2008

Ah, why is that?

There's still at least 1.1% of people using win98, if you believe this
source of stats:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

I just noticed that win9x winme and win nt are all being dropped from
python.

I know they are old and crufty, but there's still heaps of people
using them.

Someone pointed me to the pep, where the un-support seems planned:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/

Seems like a lot of people using it, so it's still worthwhile making
2.6 work with win98.