Python is slow

Ivan Illarionov ivan.illarionov at gmail.com
Fri May 23 06:21:23 EDT 2008

On 23 май, 02:20, Brad <b... at 16systems.com> wrote:
> cm_gui wrote:
> > Python is slow.
>
> It ain't C++, but it ain't a punch card either... somewhere in between.
> I find it suitable for lots of stuff. I use C++ when performance really
> matters tho... right tool for the job. Learn a good interpreted language
> (Pyhton) and a good compiled language (C or C++) and you'll be just
> fine. Until then, quit bitching.

  It's wrong. Here's why.

  Compare your statement to:
   "OP:  Humans are weak.
   "Brad:  They ain't gorillas, but they ain't insects either...
somewhere in between."

  Python is *not* in between C++ and something else.  It's far ahead
of them all.  Raw speed is not the most important thing in programming
languages like raw physical strength is not the most important thing
in life.
  Pure Python has less raw speed than most compiled-to-machine-code
languages, but it doesn't matter.  Python can be extended easily and,
most important, Python is smart.

  Ivan