Python is slow

Lie Lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sun May 25 13:22:21 EDT 2008

On May 23, 2:50 pm, Bruno Desthuilliers <bruno.
42.desthuilli... at websiteburo.invalid> wrote:
> Brad a écrit :
>
> > cm_gui wrote:
> >> Python is slow.
>
> > It ain't C++, but it ain't a punch card either... somewhere in between.
> > I find it suitable for lots of stuff. I use C++ when performance really
> > matters tho... right tool for the job. Learn a good interpreted language
> > (Pyhton) and a good compiled language (C or C++)
>
> LordHaveMercy(tm). Could you guys please learn what you're talking about?
>
> 1/ being interpreted or compiled (for whatever definition of these
> terms) is not a property of a language, but a property of an
> implementation of a language.

> 2/ actually, all known Python implementations compile to byte-code.

<flamingmode useofbrain="alotforaflame">
LordHaveMercy(violatingsomeonesTM). Couldn't you understand that a CPU
INTERPRET bytes of instruction, and that means ALL languages is
interpreted in one stages or another, some languages' (implementation)
is translated/compiled into an intermediate language/bytecode like
most Python or C/C++ or Java implementations, some language
implementation interprets the language directly (like Javascript).

The difference between C and Python (in their regular implementation)
is WHO interprets it, most C/C++'s implementation is interpreted
directly by the CPU, all Python's implementation is interpreted by a
VM. Saying a language implementation is interpreted is nonsense as all
languages implementation is interpreted either by a VM or by CPU or an
interpretator, but we do have a semantic agreement that calling a
language interpreted means it is NOT interpreted by the CPU directly,
some minority have their own agreement that a language
(implementation) is interpreted when it is never translated into an
intermediate language/bytecode, you fall into this second group, which
actually uses the wrong terminology but do have some followers. Don't
forget that language is all about what the _consensus_ says, not what
the dictionary says.

Brad doesn't use any terms incorrectly, he stated that Python is
interpreted, which is true, since in all python implementation,
Python's bytecode is interpreted by a VM. He also states that C/C++ is
compiled which is also true as most if not all C++ implementation have
a stage where it is translated into an intermediate language/bytecode.
</flamingmode>