Bug in floating-point addition: is anyone else seeing this?

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Wed May 21 17:41:09 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Dave Parker
<daveparker at flamingthunder.com> wrote:
> On May 21, 3:17 pm, "Chris Mellon" <arka... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you're going to use every post and question about Python as an
>> opportunity to pimp your own pet language you're going irritate even
>> more people than you have already.
>
> Actually, I've only posted on 2 threads that were questions about
> Python -- this one, and the one about for-loops where the looping
> variable wasn't needed.  I apologize if that irritates you.  But maybe
> some Python users will be interested in Flaming Thunder if only to
> check the accuracy of the results that they're getting from Python,
> like I did on this thread.  I think most people will agree that having
> two independent programs confirm a result is a good thing.
> --

Please don't be disingenuous. You took the opportunity to pimp your
language because you could say that you did this "right" and Python
did it "wrong". When told why you got different results (an answer you
probably already knew, if you know enough about IEEE to do the
auto-conversion you alluded to) you treated it as another opportunity
to (not very subtly) imply that Python was doing the wrong thing. I'm
quite certain that you did this intentionally and with full knowledge
of what you were doing, and it's insulting to imply otherwise.

You posted previously that you wrote a new language because you were
writing what you wanted every other language to be. This is very
similar to why Guido wrote Python and I wish you the best of luck. He
was fortunate enough that the language he wanted also happened to be
the language that lots of other people wanted. You don't seem to be so
fortunate, and anti-social behavior on newsgroups dedicated to other
languages is unlikely to change that. You're not the first and you
won't be the last.