TPCServer and xdrlib

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Mon May 19 14:25:11 EDT 2008

Laszlo Nagy wrote:

>> It is possible to change the serialization used by Pyro
>>
>>   http://pyro.sourceforge.net/manual/9-security.html#pickle
>>
>> to the the 'gnosis' XML Pickler.
>>
> As I said earlier, I would not use XML. Just an example - I need to be
> able to transfer image files, word and excel documents. How silly it
> would be to base64encode a binary file, then put it into an XML.

Fair enough.

In that case, here's 5 suggestions:

- use simple file copying from a mounted network drive
- use http (web server)
- use ftp
- use scp
- use rsync

Why wouldn't one of these work for you? Did I miss something in your original
requirements? All of the above high level protocols are very efficient in concurrently
transferring files from a server to multiple clients.

--irmen