Module python-magic on/for Windows?

Larry Hale larzluv at hotmail.com
Sun May 11 21:02:48 EDT 2008

After putting the magic1.dll file to C:\Program Files\Python25\DLLs
(looking at the directory structure, that seemed as good a place as
any), now I can *import* the module, but...

    >>> import magic
    >>> test = magic.Magic()
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
      File "build\bdist.win32\egg\magic.py", line 32, in __init__
      File "build\bdist.win32\egg\magic.py", line 72, in _check_error
    magic.MagicException: could not find any magic files!

I've placed

      474,146 magic
    1,037,440 magic.mgc
       32,203 magic.mime
       45,696 magic.mime.mgc
       77,312 magic1.dll

into

    C:\windows\system32
        in Windows/System PATH
AND (simultaneously)
    C:\Program Files\python25\DLLs
        in sys.path/PYTHONPATH

(I've also tried putting copies into different dirs in both PYTHONPATH
and system PATH, to no avail.)

Obviously, magic1.dll/magic.py (et al) can't FIND the needed file(s),
but I'm not sure how to go about discerning WHERE it/they are looking
- any thought(s)/suggestion(s), anyone??

Thanks in advance!
-Larry

P.S.: Thanks, again, Michael!  ;)  - L