]ANN[ Vellum 0.16: Lots Of Documentation and Watching

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon May 5 18:47:32 EDT 2008

On 5 Mai, 23:57, vivai... at gmail.com (Ville M. Vainio) wrote:
> Paul Boddie <p... at boddie.org.uk> writes:
> > Anyway, I'm just confirming that I'm clearly not one of the "many"
> > described above. A lot of my own work is licensed under the GPL or
>
> I guess it's safe to assume that you are not opposed to using code
> based on more liberal license, right? :-)

As long as it's a GPL-compatible licence. ;-)

> My point is: GPL is a reason to reject a tool for some, but MIT/BSD
> never is. Ultimately, of course, it's up to the preferences of the
> author but if the idea is to maximize the popularity, GPL is a worse
> bet.

I know you were talking about small tools, but since we're being
jocular, I still can't resist the obligatory "tell it to Linus
Torvalds" remark. :-)

Paul

P.S. I've actually released at least one work derived from a
permissively licensed work under the LGPL (and I did ask the original
author if he had any problems with that, out of politeness), mostly
because I didn't object to people building applications under a wider
range of licences, but I did want end-users to get the benefit of the
library source code, including any modifications.