License selection for free software (was: ]ANN[ Vellum 0.16: Lots Of Documentation and Watching)

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Mon May 5 18:17:22 EDT 2008

vivainio at gmail.com (Ville M. Vainio) writes:

> Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> writes:
>
> > Anyway, I'm just confirming that I'm clearly not one of the "many"
> > described above. A lot of my own work is licensed under the GPL or
>
> I guess it's safe to assume that you are not opposed to using code
> based on more liberal license, right? :-)

I'm less inclined to base work on, or contribute to, a work under a
non-copyleft license, because I have less assurance that the code will
remain free for all recipients.

> My point is: GPL is a reason to reject a tool for some

Yes.

> but MIT/BSD never is.

Not true. I, and many others I know, would and have done so.

There's no single free-software license that won't displease some
segment of the free-software community. I think the Vellum project
shouldn't base the selection of license on "do some people dislike
this license?", because the answer is "yes" for all of them.

--
 \        "No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep |
  `\                             up."  -- Jane Wagner, via Lily Tomlin |