Pythonwin

Roy H. Han rhh2109 at columbia.edu
Fri May 9 07:21:39 EDT 2008

Hi Clive,

For ArcGIS, I use plain old VIM, IPython and IDLE.

If you really want PythonWin, then you can download Mark Hammond's Python
for Windows extensions: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

Note also that with the pywin32 extensions, you can also use Python 2.5 to
access ArcGIS using

from win32com.client import Dispatch
arcgis = Dispatch('esriGeoprocessing.GpDispatch')

If you just need to access shapefiles, there is shapelib:
http://shapelib.maptools.org/
To make shapelib bindings for Python 2.5
1. Download *shapelib_1_2_10.zip *from http://dl.maptools.org/dl/shapelib/
2. Download *pyshapelib-0.3.zip* from
ftp://intevation.de/users/bh/pyshapelib
3. Extract *pyshapelib-0.3.zip*
4. Extract *shapelib_1_2_10.zip* to the folder containing pyshapelib.
Rename the extracted folder as *shapelib*
5. From the pyshapelib directory, run python setup.py build.  The script
looks in its parent folder for the shapelib folder.
5. From the pyshapelib directory, python setup.py install

Hope that helps,
Roy
**