Code correctness, and testing strategies

Michael L Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sat May 24 22:09:13 EDT 2008

David wrote:
> Seriously, 10 hours of testing for code developed in 10 hours? What
> kind of environment do you write code for? This may be practical for
> large companies with hordes of full-time testing & QA staff, but not
> for small companies with just a handful of developers (and where you
> need to borrow somone from their regular job to do non-developer
> testing). In a small company, programmers do the lions share of
> testing. For programmers to spend 2 weeks on a project, and then
> another 2 weeks testing it is not very practical when they have more
> than one project.

Watch your programmers then.  They do have to write and debug the code.
 And they will spend at least as much or more time debugging as writing
the code.  It's a fact.  I have several programmers working for me on
several projects.  What you have been told is fact.  In my experience
it's 3-10x more time debugging as programming.  I've heard that *good*
programmers write, on average, 10 new lines of code per day.  I can also
verify that this is pretty accurate, both in my own programming
experience, and watching programmers working for me.