Code correctness, and testing strategies

Matthew Woodcraft mattheww at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Sun May 25 05:06:21 EDT 2008

Michael L Torrie  <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> Watch your programmers then.  They do have to write and debug the
> code. And they will spend at least as much or more time debugging as
> writing the code.  It's a fact.  I have several programmers working
> for me on several projects.  What you have been told is fact.

This isn't the case for everyone. In my workplace the time we spend
debugging is small compared to the time writing the code in the first
place. I wonder what the difference is?

We do use unit-testing quite widely, but by no means everywhere. The
code which doesn't have unit tests doesn't tend to be any buggier than
the code which does. Where testsuites really help is when you have to
upgrade some library or service that your programs are depending on,
and you get to find out about subtle backwards-incompatibilities.

-M-