writing python extensions in assembly

Ivan Illarionov ivan.illarionov at gmail.com
Fri May 16 22:46:11 EDT 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008 10:13:04 -0400, inhahe wrote:

> Can anyone give me pointers/instructions/a template for writing a Python
> extension in assembly (or better, HLA)?

Look up pygame sources. They have some hot inline MMX stuff.
I experimented with this rescently and I must admit that it's etremely
hard to beat C compiler. My first asm code actually was slower than C,
only after reading Intel docs, figuring out what makes 'movq' and
'movntq' different I was able to write something that was several times
faster than C.

D language inline asm and tools to make Python extensions look very
promising although I haven't tried them yet.

-- Ivan