question about python statements

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Tue May 13 04:10:59 EDT 2008

Ohad Frand wrote:
> Hi Gary
>
> Sorry that I was not clear, I hope that this time I will explain myself
> better.
>
> I can get list of all builtin functions in python by dir(__builtins__).
> This return a list of string with most known names to python language
> such as:
> [... 'issubclass', 'iter', 'len', 'license', 'list', 'locals', 'long',
> 'map', 'max', 'min', 'object', 'oct', 'open', 'ord', 'pow', 'property',
> 'quit', 'range', 'raw_input', 'reduce', 'reload'...]
>
> But I don't know how to generate the next list of builtin python
> statements:
> ['assert','break','class','continue','def','del','elif','else','except',
> 'exec','finally','for','from','global',
> 'if','import','pass','print','raise','return','try','while','yield']

There is no way you can consider 'elif', 'else', 'except', and 'from'
statements.  However, as someone pointed out, the kwlist from the
keyword module is the closest thing we can think of to the list you are
asking for.

On the other hand, what's wrong with constructing the list as you did in
your example above?

Just out of curiosity, *why* do you want this list.   Perhaps is we knew
that, we could think of a programmatic way to construct the list you
want.   The biggest challenge at the moment is that we have no idea what
you mean by statement, but it is certainly not what Python considers
statements.

Gary Herron