Newbie to python --- why should i learn !

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Thu May 8 12:34:50 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 6:25 AM, Raxit at MyKavita.com <raxitsheth2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i was reading/learning some hello world program in python.
> I think its very simillar to Java/C++/C#. What's different (except
> syntax) ?
>
> what can i do easily with python which is not easy in c++/java !?

Python compared to C++:
You don't have to worry about memory management, which means you don't get
core dumps and destroy your computer.

Python compared to Java:
You don't have the strictly enforced type checking and object-oriented
programming, which is sometimes not needed. Also, Java was meant to be blind
to the platform, so you will have trouble accessing anything outside your
program. Python has the os, shutil, and subprocess modules that let you run
command line programs and scripts, and you can directly access the win32 API
if you are only programming for Windows. Also, Java requires the JVM to run.
With python, you can run the program through the regular python interpreter,
on the JVM (Jython), natively in Windows (IronPython or freeze it with
py2exe), and just about anywhere else you want, so people who use your
software won't have to install Python themselves.