Python and Flaming Thunder

Giampaolo Rodola' gnewsg at gmail.com
Wed May 28 20:26:38 EDT 2008

On 28 Mag, 23:13, Dave Parker <davepar... at flamingthunder.com> wrote:
> On May 28, 12:09 pm, Luis Zarrabeitia <ky... at uh.cu> wrote:
>
> > Following your posts in this thread, I see that
> > you 'plan to add soon' every cool feature that every other language seems to
> > have.
>
> I've already added a lot of them.  For example, loops that don't need
> looping variables:
>
> For 1000 times do ...
>
> Explicit infinite loops:
>
> For forever do ...
>
> I don't those are features that every other language seems to have,
> not even Python.
>
> Plus, by this weekend, built-in compiled fullscreen 3D graphics will
> be in, too.
>
> > With no certainty whatsoever that today's program will work on
> > tomorrow's FT.
>
> Kind of like how this year's program won't work on next year's
> Python?  Except Flaming Thunder is faster. ;)

On 28 Mag, 23:13, Dave Parker <davepar... at flamingthunder.com> wrote:
> On May 28, 12:09 pm, Luis Zarrabeitia <ky... at uh.cu> wrote:
>
> > Following your posts in this thread, I see that
> > you 'plan to add soon' every cool feature that every other language seems to
> > have.
>
> I've already added a lot of them.  For example, loops that don't need
> looping variables:
>
> For 1000 times do ...
>
> Explicit infinite loops:
>
> For forever do ...
>
> I don't those are features that every other language seems to have,
> not even Python.
>
> Plus, by this weekend, built-in compiled fullscreen 3D graphics will
> be in, too.
>
> > With no certainty whatsoever that today's program will work on
> > tomorrow's FT.
>
> Kind of like how this year's program won't work on next year's
> Python?  Except Flaming Thunder is faster. ;)

This is nonsense.
Python 2.x is around since... what is it? Almost 10 years?
It lasted that long maintaining retro-compatibility between the
various versions.
It's very funny that you point your finger at Python's compatibility
as a factor of weakness when your FT breaks it *every week*.
Before trying to convince whoever that your FT is better than Python
you should first decide what to do with your own product by starting
to implement all that *basic* features which are common to all modern
languages (arrays, OOP, error handling, data structures, Unicode
support, etc...).
Once you do that, ask yourself if the way you did it was good/
reliable, ask users what they think about it, and apply changes as
necessary.
At that point you'll be ready to start publicizing FT as an
alternative in respect to other languages.
Currenlty you're trying to push something which is not even a "pre-
alpha" over something else (Python) which has been around since about
20 years and it is known to be one of the cleanest and more elegant
languages around.

--- Giampaolo
http://code.google.com/p/pyftpdlib