select.poll() and WSAPoll

Giles Brown giles_brown at hotmail.com
Tue May 6 11:44:36 EDT 2008

On 6 May, 14:18, Jean-Paul Calderone <exar... at divmod.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 May 2008 08:36:28 -0400, inhahe <inh... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >select.poll isn't supported on Windows, because Windows doesn't have such a
> >feature, or at least it didn't until Vista.  Vista implements the same thing
> >but called  WSAPoll, an article is here
> >http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2006/10/26/WSAPoll.aspx
> >I hope that the next edition of Python supports select.poll on Vista, or at
> >least that someone writes a third-party module fo it. As much as I'd love to
> >do it myself, it's probably beyond me.. i've never used poll before nor
> >written a Python extension.  also, i don't have Vista.
> >Thanks
>
> If you use Twisted, then you can use I/O Completion Ports, which are even
> better than WSAPoll, and your code will also work with KQueue on BSD or
> EPoll on Linux without any changes. :)
>
> Jean-Paul

The current docs describe the I/O Completion Ports reactor as
"extremely experimental".

http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/choosing-reactor.html#auto8

Is that overly conservative or is it as bleeding edge as it sounds?

(IIRC there have been caveats like this on the Windows reactors for
a while)

Giles