Using Python for programming algorithms

Colin J. Williams cjw at ncf.ca
Sat May 17 20:00:48 EDT 2008

Vicent Giner wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am new to Python. It seems a very interesting language to me. Its
> simplicity is very attractive.
>
> However, it is usually said that Python is not a compiled but
> interpreted programming language —I mean, it is not like C, in that
> sense.
>
> I am working on my PhD Thesis, which is about Operations Research,
> heuristic algorithms, etc., and I am considering the possibility of
> programming all my algorithms in Python.
>
> The usual alternative is C, but I like Python more.
>
> The main drawbacks I see to using Python are these:
>
> * As far as I understand, the fact that Python is not a compiled
> language makes it slower than C, when performing huge amounts of
> computations within an algorithm or program.

The usual answer is that development
time is more important than running time.

Since you are likely to be using arrays,
you might look at numpy, where the
number crunching is using compiled C code.

> * I don't know how likely it is to find libraries in Python related to
> my research field.
>
> * I know Python is a "serious" and mature programming language, of
> course. But I do not know if it is seen as "just funny" in a research
> context. Is Python considered as a good programming language for
> implementing Operations Research algorithms, such as heuristics and
> other soft-computing algorithms?

Try Google with Python and your area of
interest.  You could well find
Python-based packages which meet your needs.

> Maybe this is not the right forum, but maybe you can give me some
> hints or tips...
>
> Thank you in advance.

Good luck.

Colin W.