Using Python for programming algorithms

Vicent Giner vginer at gmail.com
Sat May 17 18:32:29 EDT 2008

Hello.

I am new to Python. It seems a very interesting language to me. Its
simplicity is very attractive.

However, it is usually said that Python is not a compiled but
interpreted programming language —I mean, it is not like C, in that
sense.

I am working on my PhD Thesis, which is about Operations Research,
heuristic algorithms, etc., and I am considering the possibility of
programming all my algorithms in Python.

The usual alternative is C, but I like Python more.

The main drawbacks I see to using Python are these:

* As far as I understand, the fact that Python is not a compiled
language makes it slower than C, when performing huge amounts of
computations within an algorithm or program.

* I don't know how likely it is to find libraries in Python related to
my research field.

* I know Python is a "serious" and mature programming language, of
course. But I do not know if it is seen as "just funny" in a research
context. Is Python considered as a good programming language for
implementing Operations Research algorithms, such as heuristics and
other soft-computing algorithms?

Maybe this is not the right forum, but maybe you can give me some
hints or tips...

Thank you in advance.